Public Housing is when a Housing Authority owns and manages the property it leases. The Housing Authority of Henderson owns and manages apartments which it leases to low-income people on an income-based rental rate in the Henderson area only. Section 8 is owned and managed by private landlords who list their property with our Housing Authority who, in turn, refer prospective tenants to their property.

Yes, if the HA determines that you are eligible, your name will be put on a waiting list, unless the HA is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the HA will contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, the HA must say why and, if you wish, you can request an informal hearing.

Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, will be based on your family’s anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow HAs to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application, the HA representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older. The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

1. 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);
2. 10 percent of monthly income;
3. welfare rent, if applicable; or
4. $50 minimum rent set by the HA.

A utility allowance shall be established for all check-metered utilities. The allowance will be based on reasonable consumption of utilities by an energy-conservative household of modest circumstances. In setting the allowance, the HA will review the actual consumption of resident families as well as changes made or anticipated due to modernization. Allowances will be evaluated at least annually, as well as anytime the utility rates change since the last revision to the allowances. For those residents whose rent includes paid utilities, the HA will monitor the utility consumption of each household. Any consumption in excess of the allowance established by the HA will be billed to the resident monthly.

Yes, a $200 security deposit is required for all units.

Washer and dryer hookups are available in many of our apartment units. It is the responsibility of the resident to supply the washer and/or dryer and to ensure that they are properly functioning. Portable washers are not allowed nor is it permissible to connect washer hose lines to any sink faucet. If your apartment has a dryer hook-up installed, make sure the dryer is properly vented to the outdoors. Use only the metal type dryer vent hosing, as it is safer. Do not operate your dryer without it being properly vented outdoors.

Residents are allowed to have common household pets in the apartments. There are some types of pets that are not allowed. When you first move in, you receive a copy of our Pet Policy which outlines what type of pets are allowed and other pet related requirements. Residents are required to take proper care of their pets at all times. This includes providing proper food and shelter. Residents are required to clean up after their pets and if applicable, keep the pet on a leash and under your control while outdoors. There are penalties for non-compliance of the Pet Policy. Please refer to your policy for additional information.

Yes, you are allowed to have overnight house guests to stay with you for a period not to exceed fourteen (14) days per calendar year. This does not mean each person has fourteen days but fourteen days is the maximum number of days allowed per calendar year per household. If you wish your house guest to remain longer , you must notify the office before the end of the fourteen days so we will know that you have not moved someone in. This would be in violation of your lease. Extensions must have prior approval from management. You are also asked to notify us when you guest leaves.

No. Unfortunately, the Housing Authority does not have emergency housing or emergency assistance available. We will refer you to agencies in town that provide emergency shelter and assistance.